Our stories fall into four categories, each focusing on a different aspect of our work: original features, laboratory articles, university articles, and research highlights. We’ve compiled the most popular articles of each type published in 2019.
Original Feature Articles
The Office of Science’s Communications and Public Affairs team’s original feature articles provide perspectives on our work that readers will find nowhere else. Longform feature articles provide big picture views of major research topics, from materials science to project management. Profiles of user facility directors, Early Career awardees, and National Science Bowl alumni put a personal spin on some of our nation’s greatest resources.
Top five original feature articles:
- Ten Years and Nearly a Billion Dollars: How Project Management Made a Massive X-Ray Light Source Possible
- No Limits for Light or Science
- Science Up-Close: Developing a Cookbook for Efficient Fusion Energy
- Meet the Director: Nigel Mouncey
- Simulating Ice at the Bottom of the World: Modeling the Antarctic Ice Sheets
National Laboratory Articles
The Office of Science’s 10 national laboratories report on their latest research news with timely press releases and features. They also profile scientists to highlight the passion and commitment behind the research.
Top five national laboratory articles:
- Squeezed Nanocrystals: A New Model Predicts Their Shape When Blanketed Under Graphene (Ames Laboratory)
- Machine Learning Award Powers Argonne Leadership in Engine Design (Argonne National Laboratory)
- Unlocking New Paths Toward High-Temperature Superconductors (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
- Carrying and Releasing Nanoscale Cargo with “Nanowrappers” (Brookhaven National Laboratory)
- New Technique Could Streamline Design of Intricate Fusion Device (Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory)
The Office of Science supports scientists, engineers, and students at nearly 300 academic institutions across the United States. These universities tell the stories of the discoveries that emerge from this research.
Top five university articles:
- UCI Scientists Create New Class of Two-Dimensional Materials (University of California, Irvine)
- Study Identifies Main Culprit Behind Lithium Metal Battery Failure (University of California, San Diego)
- Comet Inspires Chemistry for Making Breathable Oxygen on Mars (California Institute of Technology (CalTech))
- Visible Light and Nanoparticle Catalysts Produce Desirable Bioactive Molecules (Northwestern University)
- New Drug-Delivery Technology Promises Efficient, Targeted Cancer Treatment (Washington State University)
Research highlights summarize published journal articles at national laboratories and universities based on work supported by the Office of Science. These articles feature findings that the Office of Science programs themselves choose to amplify.
Top five research highlights:
- Community Matters When Using Algae to Produce Energy
- Survey Delivers on Dark Energy with Multiple Probes
- Nuclear Physics Detector Tech Used in Cancer Treatment Monitoring System
- This Superconductor Does Not Take Light Lightly
- Crossing the Great Divide Between Model Studies and Applied Reactors in Catalysis
Original post https://alertarticles.info